Saturday, September 4, 2010

Sawdust Chronicles 2010 Build Challenge

Oh boy! Have I done it now. This sounded like a good idea at the time - over at the Sawdust Chronicles they have a Build Challenge going on. The theme is surface. Since I received the email very early Wednesday morning I have been burning up brain cells trying to figure out what to make. I came up with a design earlier this year that I would like to build. Still not happy with it, I've tried to come up with some other solutions. Lets just say the new sketch pad is looking pretty used these days. I have the basic design down - now comes the challenge part putting it into the cube shape dimensions given to us. Also I have some joints that one will have to figure out how to attach to some part. Can't say too much until the build gets underway. Then I'll post some pictures. If you know me and my tastes, you will know that this is way outside my comfort zone.

Lots of work still remains before hitting the shop - another day or two of drawing/dimensioning, figuring out materials, checking to see what I need and have. The only bad part of this, is I don't think I'm going to have to buy any tools. Someone was hoping to convince the wife that some new tools are needed for the challenge. Maybe someone should just buy them and if she asks, I have a prepared statement, "Rick Waters over at the Sawdust Chronicles told me I could spend $900.00 on tools."

No comments:

Post a Comment