Monday, September 20, 2010

The 2010 Sawdust Chronicles Challenge

Nothing like waiting to the last minute. We are 20 days into the challenge and what have I accomplished? It seems like nothing. My designs are taking up space in the already crowded brain. After going to the sketch pad and looking at some of the drawings and ideals that I have had in the past, one item sticks with me. I keep coming back to this one design that I would like to do. The concern that I have is that it is going to be a challenge to keep withing the constraints, 32 x 32 x 30.

So just what has one contestant done:
  • I have researched every one that Niel has talked about.
  • Attended a Herman Miller exhibit. Which by the way had some Wendall Castle, Stickley and others on display.
  • Keep revisiting the sketch book and doing more drawings.
  • At the encouragement of Paul, Aka The Tiny Little Guy, Downloaded Sketch book and played with it for 2 minutes before closing it out.
  • Keep thinking on how to do it - the best way, use of negative space, surface (s), jointery, etc
Time table:

Monday 9/20 Make up a mock up using cardboard, etc

Wednesday 9/22 Maybe get supplies, work on layout, mill some stock?
Thursday 9/23 Start assembly of the lower unit.
Friday 9/24 Finish lower unit assembly?


Keep checking back has I should be able to provide pictures and info about the build.

No comments:

Post a Comment